Indian Science Congress Association has instituted an Award namely “Infosys Foundation –ISCA Travel Award” from 2004-2005 which is given annually to five students (up to Class XII) during the Annual Session of the Indian Science Congress Association. The awardee will be paid TA (AC III –tire/Chair Car Train Fare), local hospitality, and a Plaque for attending the Indian Science Congress.
Furthermore, five more deserving students will be funded for attending the Science Congress Sessions from the amount accrued from interest of selling of the special volume on “Shaping of Indian Science” published by ISCA on the occasion of the 90thIndian Science Congress. The students will also be given and paid TA (AC III –tier/Chair Car Train Fare) and local hospitality for attending the Science Congress.
The selection of the awardee will be made by a committee constituted by the host university on the basis of the write-up on – What developments in Science during the last two years have influenced him/her and why?
This year also “Infosys Foundation –ISCA Travel Award” will be given to school children on the occasion of “106th Indian science Congress” to be held in Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar from 3-7 January 2019.
- The Students up to class 12th can submit the write-up.
- The application should be forwarded by the School Principal/Headmaster.
Result And Award Ceremony
- Result: 15th December 2018
- Validiction: 4th January 2019
Submission and Formatting Instructions
- Language: Essay should be written in English Language.
- Cover of the written submission: It should include name of the Participant, Address, E-mail ID, Contact Number, Name of the school with address and email id.
- Length of Essay: The essay (excluding cover page) shall be no longer than 2000 words, footnotes included. There is no down limit, although papers shorter than 750 words are not encouraged.
- Page Size: Essay should be typed on a A4 size electronic page.
- Font size and Margins: Essay should be typed in 12-point Time New Roman or Arial font. Headings and subheadings can be of up to 14 points. Author can use appropriate formatting techniques like Bold, Italic or Underline as per the need of the manuscript. Interlinear space shall be 1.5 or lesser. Keep margins of 1” on all sides (top, bottom, left and right)
- Essays must be submitted as PDF file. All pages should be stamped and signed by the School Authorities.
- No Plagiarism:
- 1) All the entries will be checked for plagiarism using ‘Turnitin’ or other such plagiarism checker software.
- 2) Only original write up will be considered for the competition. Any form of plagiarism will result in disqualification of the write up.
- Last Date and Submission Procedure: Last date for submitting the write-up is November 15, 2018. All the pages of the write-up should contain school stamp and must be signed by school authorities. The write-up can be submitted in following ways:
- 1) Hard copy may be sent by the school to the office of the Local Secretary at Conference Secretariat, Level II, Block 29,
Lovely Professional University,
Jalandhar-Delhi G.T. Road,
Phagwara, Punjab (India)-144411
- 2) Scanned copy may be sent through email at firstname.lastname@example.org The email should be sent from the mail id of the school only.
The essay should be evaluated by committee of judges constituted by Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar. Following criteria will be used in evaluating the essay. The weightage of each parameter is not same
- Content: Subject matter is relevant and is discussed understandably and comprehensively. Data and graphics may be used to support the argument. (35% weightage)
- Scientific Argument: Reasoning is adequately supported without unsubstantiated opinion. (25% weightage)
- Neatness and Structure: Essay should be according to the prescribed formatting instructions. Structure of the essay should have proper coherence and cohesion e.g. sequences information and ideas logically, uses paragraphing sufficiently and appropriately. (15% weightage)
- Usage of Language: It is desired that the usage of English language is proper and sentences are error-free. Writer should be able to use appropriate vocabulary to convey precise meaning. (15%)
- Other general expectations from Essay: Essay should be Clear, concise and direct. Should be unambiguous, logical and uses scientific conventions correctly. In case any data or picture has been used from any other source, the source must be cited. (10% weightage)